2014 will be an interesting year to watch from traffic perspective. While Priceline Group has a huge lead, Expedia and Tripadvisor family will continue to duke it out.
Editor’s Note: Late last year we started a once-a-quarter feature on top trafficked sites in various sectors in travel, using monthly data from SimilarWeb. We have found SimilarWeb’s traffic stats to be a relatively good barometer of web activity and much more accurate than other traffic comparison sites — at least as far as proportional comparison goes.
We’re starting 2014 by looking at the top online booking sites in travel. Keep in mind this does not account for direct sites of travel brands (airlines/hotels) themselves, which we have done in separate lists previously. Also, our threshold is roughly 5 million visits per month, and does not count any app activity, hence sites like HotelsCombined, Hipmunk and others don’t show up.
Some observations on the list below:
- Compared to our first look for October data last year, we’re now grouping country sites of same brand together, to get a better sense of the scale.
- Booking.com is still the king in travel, by a large margin over Expedia and TripAdvisor.
- Adding up Booking.com’s sister sites Priceline.com, Agoda, and Kayak, the Priceline family is the Sinaloa cartel of travel — to use a timely phrase.
- TripAdvisor.com is still bigger than Expedia.com on a standalone basis, but Expedia’s family of sites, including Hotels.com and Hotwire.com brings it neck and neck with the TripAdvisor family of sites.
- HotelUrbano.com, the Brazilian hotel booking site, continues to be among the top sites in travel, though we understand a lot of that is traffic it is buying from various sources.
- Orbitz and Travelocity are not among the top ten booking sites in travel anymore, and will likely to have tough road going ahead.
- Cheapoair.com is among the top ten, but we understand a lot of its traffic is marketing-spend dependent.
- Indian sites MakeMyTrip, Yatra, and Cleartrip continue to impress, and clearly show the long term potential of Indian sites.
- Airbnb is now among the top 15 travel booking sites on the planet, a huge feat for a company that created a whole new market.
- Homeaway.com and VRBO.com, part of the HomeAway family, are the largest alternative accommodation sites on the planet.
- Skyscanner’s network is among the top 20, but still has a long way to go if it wants to get up to the next run of top ten.
- ThomasCook and Thomson.co.uk (part of TUI) are among the only traditional travel agencies showing up in the ranks — both of them are European strong.
- The big omission is Trivago, which has lots of country sites, each with lower than 5 million threshold we’re using for rankings. Hence their overall absence from this list.
- Any other insights based on this data below? Any other big names we’re missing? Post in comments below.
|Rank||Site||Estimated Visits in Jan. ’14||Time on Site (HR/MINS/SEC)||Pageviews Per Visit||Leading Country|
|1||Booking.com||166 Million||0:07:21||5.85||United States 15.36%|
|2||TripAdvisor Family||159.5 Million||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|TripAdvisor.com||79.6 Million||0:04:26||3.7||United States 62.05%|
|TripAdvisor.co.uk||27.1 Million||0:05:13||4.1||United Kingdom 75.18%|
|TripAdvisor.fr||11.5 Million||0:04:37||4.32||France 60.49%|
|TripAdvisor.it||10 Million||0:05:22||4.48||Italy 93.56%|
|TripAdvisor.ca||8.6 Million||0:05:21||4.06||Canada 88.34%|
|TripAdvisor.es||6.3 Million||0:04:23||3.73||Spain 56.70%|
|TripAdvisor.com.br||6 Million||0:04:10||4.71||Brazil 89.26%|
|TripAdvisor.in||5.8 Million||0:05:03||4.09||India 87.72%|
|TripAdvisor.de||4.6 Million||0:04:07||4.2||Germany 69.70%|
|3||Expedia Family||59.3 Million||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Expedia.com||41.5 Million||0:06:42||5.67||United States 86.35%|
|Expedia.ca||8.2 Million||0:07:23||6.69||Canada 91.82%|
|Expedia.co.uk||6.4 Million||0:05:53||5.54||United Kingdom 91.15%|
|Expedia.de||3.2 Million||0:06:42||5.95||Germany 82.73%|
|4||Hotels.com||34.5 Million||0:04:53||4.72||United States 46.88%|
|5||Priceline.com||31.3 Million||0:06:11||7.24||United States 93.52%|
|6||Agoda.com||30.7 Million||0:07:50||6.08||United States 12.54%|
|7||Hotelurbano.com||25.5 Million||0:01:50||2.18||Brazil 93.13%|
|8||Kayak.com||24.4 Million||0:06:13||4.9||United States 89.04%|
|9||Travel.yahoo.com||24.1 Million||0:01:17||1.96||United States 70.27%|
|10||Cheapoair.com||20.2 Million||0:05:14||3.49||United States 87.12%|
|11||Makemytrip.com||17.5 Million||0:07:44||6.29||India 77.96%|
|12||Orbitz.com||17.2 Million||0:06:49||5.15||United States 90.43%|
|13||Travelocity.com||15 Million||0:05:41||5.64||United States 93.07%|
|14||Hotwire.com||13.2 Million||0:05:28||4.48||United States 87.94%|
|15||Airbnb.com||12.4 Million||0:08:27||10.72||United States 69.22%|
|16||Travelzoo.com||12.2 Million||0:03:38||3.49||United States 64.82%|
|17||Decolar.com||11.3 Million||0:07:43||5.88||Brazil 97.29%|
|18||Skyscanner.net||9.6 Million||0:06:28||5.26||United Kingdom 70.08%|
|» Skyscanner.com||3.2 Million||0:06:25||5.39||United States 68.23%|
|19||HomeAway.com||7.4 Million||0:06:44||7.67||United States 74.18%|
|» VRBO.com||8.8 Million||0:11:45||12.77||United States 87.61%|
|20||Ctrip.com||8.6 Million||0:08:00||10.18||China 73.52%|
|21||Lastminute.com||8.5 Million||0:05:47||6.11||United Kingdom 45.60%|
|22||Bookingbuddy.com||8.2 Million||0:03:59||3.55||United States 70.44%|
|23||Qunar.com||7.5 Million||0:06:57||6.8||China 94.15%|
|24||CheapTickets.com||6.6 Million||0:05:39||4.22||United States 82.80%|
|25||Onetravel.com||6.6 Million||0:05:44||4.37||United States 83.63%|
|26||Cleartrip.com||6 Million||0:06:12||6.74||India 79.85%|
|27||Venere||5.6 Million||0:03:36||3.43||Italy 22.81%|
|28||Yatra.com||5.6 Million||0:06:38||4.82||India 86.26%|
|29||Thomascook.com||5.4 Million||0:08:32||6.71||United Kingdom 91.42%|
|30||Holidaycheck.de||5.4 Million||0:11:48||13.94||Germany 87.78%|
|31||Travel.rakuten.co.jp||5.34 Million||0:07:24||11.01||Japan 94.64%|
|32||Thomson.co.uk||5 Million||0:09:30||7.72||United Kingdom 89.16%|
|33||Farecompare.com||5 Million||0:03:20||4.92||United States 44.35%|
Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch
Photo credit: Travelocity, no longer among the top 10 booking sites in travel. Photo by Rafat Ali