Travel Video Trends This Week: The Rise of Vertical Video and Our Fascination with Drones Sponsored This content is created collaboratively with one of our sponsors.
2014 is turning out to be a consolidation year, with big getting bigger. But there is lots of interesting jostling beyond leaders, and that’s where the action will be rest of the year. Airbnb’s rise has been spectacular, and will continue to break through on the charts.
This ranking below does not account for direct sites of travel brands (airlines/hotels) themselves, which we have done in separate lists previously. Also, our threshold is roughly 5 million visits per month to the online websites of these companies, and does not count any mobile app activity, hence sites like HotelsCombined, Hipmunk, Ostrovok and others don’t show up.
Some observations from data below:
- We are not combining all companies under one rank (as in all Priceline Group, or Expedia Group), but we’re combining all one-brand specific country sites (brand sites) together (hence all of TripAdvisor country sites are under one ranking).
- Booking.com is still killing it, and growing fast as well, despite its gargantuan size.
- Priceline Group, which includes Booking.com, Priceline.com, Agoda.com and Kayak sites, is the leader by a huge margin.
- Expedia brand (all country domain sites together) is third largest, but Expedia Group, which includes Hotels.com, Trivago, Hotwire and Venere, is the second most popular online travel booking company. And since Travelocity is now just a white-label site for Expedia, those 10.6 million visitors could count towards its total, too.
- TripAdvisor is surely the biggest media-plus-booking site globally, and the second most popular brand if you add up all country-specific sites.
- Remarkably, Airbnb is now the fifth most popular online travel booking site, and is insanely addictive when you count the time spent on site. Part of it has to do with the design of the site, meant to be browsed more leisurely; the other part is more endemic, where users have to browse more listing in sharing/rentals to come to the right choice.
- HomeAway and sister site VRBO are in similar category as Airbnb, and as addictive when it comes to time spent on site by users.
- Hotels.com growth is flat, and Expedia knows it.
- Skyscanner is now among the top 10 most popular booking brands globally, and it is now making a big push in U.S. as well.
- MakeMyTrip is now among the top 10 most popular online booking sites globally, and is the only local site to reach that high, showing the potential and size of online travel market in India and beyond. Other Indian sites Cleartrip and Yatra are also in the Top 30 list globally.
- The shine is off the growth of HotelUrbano.com, the Brazilian hotel booking site, for now, but it is still in the Top 15 most poplar sites.
- Travelocity is declining, and are we have covered previously, a sitting target to be bought, likely by partner Expedia.
- Looks like Trivago’s various country sites are now seeing the network effects from being part of Expedia, and its traffic is rising fast.
- AirFastTickets.com, the enigmatic Greek OTA which has been advertising all over NYC last few months, has now nearly broken into top 30 ranks.
- AviaSales, the Russian travel search engine, is rising fast in the ranks, after a big capital injection earlier this year.
- SimilarWeb’s traffic analytics for China and Russia aren’t very robust, and ranks below are likely not indicative of their true size.
- Any other insights based on this data below? Any other big names we’re missing? Post in comments below.
|Rank||Site||Estimated Desktop Visits in May ’14||Time on Site||Pageviews Per Visit||Leading Country||Estimated Visits in Jan. ’14|
|1.||Booking.com||210.5 M||7:37||6.36||United States 15.83%||166 M|
|2.||TripAdvisor Sites||159.6 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||159.5 M|
|TripAdvisor.com||73.4 M||4:44||3.97||United States 64.77%||79.6 M|
|TripAdvisor.co.uk||25 M||4:59||3.93||United Kingdom 79.96%||27.1 M|
|TripAdvisor.fr||12.2 M||4:32||3.98||France 63.85%||11.5 M|
|TripAdvisor.it||13.7 M||5:31||4.39||Italy 92.10%||10 M|
|TripAdvisor.ca||7.4 M||4:59||4.17||Canada 89.06%||8.6 M|
|TripAdvisor.es||7.8 M||4:49||3.69||Spain 66.63%||6.3 M|
|TripAdvisor.com.br||5.7 M||4:06||4.63||Brazil 85.60%||6 M|
|TripAdvisor.in||7.4 M||5:31||4.12||India 91.53%||5.8 M|
|TripAdvisor.de||4.2 M||4:02||4.53||Germany 67.84%||4.6 M|
|Tripadvisor.jp||2.8 M||4:02||4.99||Japan 77.07%||2.2 M|
|3.||Expedia Sites||63.5 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||59.3 M|
|Expedia.com||40.6 M||6:53||5.32||United States 86.50%||41.5 M|
|Expedia.ca||6.1 M||7:22||6.34||Canada 91.92%||8.2 M|
|Expedia.co.uk||4.6 M||5:54||4.67||United Kingdom 89.70%||6.4 M|
|Expedia.de||2.6 M||6:03||5.17||Germany 82.51%||3.2 M|
|Expedia.it||2.6 M||6:26||5.8||Italy 92.81%||2.1 M|
|Expedia.fr||2 M||4:22||3.95||France 77.26%||2 M|
|Expedia.co.in||1.8 M||5:07||4.49||India 83.44%||1.5 M|
|Expedia.com.au||1.8 M||6:59||6.35||Australia 88.24%||2.6 M|
|Expedia.co.jp||1.4 M||6:39||7.23||Japan 81.64%||1.35 M|
|4.||Hotels.com||34.5 M||5:53||4.82||United States 47.70%||34.5 M|
|5.||Airbnb Sites||32.5 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Airbnb.com||14 M||9:57||11.27||United States 63.34%||12.4 M|
|Airbnb.fr||4.6 M||0:10:38||11.44||France 79.04%||2.7 M|
|Airbnb.co.uk||4.6 M||9:24||12.47||United Kingdom 87.77%||2.9 M|
|Airbnb.ru||3 M||0:10:59||15.1||Russian Federation 79.59%||1 M|
|Airbnb.it||2.3 M||0:10:52||12.36||Italy 87.41%||1.1 M|
|Airbnb.es||2 M||0:11:26||12.83||Spain 76.95%||1.1 M|
|Airbnb.de||2 M||9:43||10.76||Germany 83.95%||1.3 M|
|6.||Agoda.com||31.6 M||7:29||5.26||United States 12.59%||30.7 M|
|7.||Priceline.com||28 M||7:01||7.87||United States 92.40%||31.3 M|
|8.||Skyscanner Sites||23.4 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Skyscanner.net||7.7 M||6:46||5.18||United Kingdom 72.62%||9.6 M|
|Skyscanner.com||4 M||6:41||4.98||United States 79.56%||3.2 M|
|Skyscanner.ru||6.4 M||6:43||5.27||Russian Federation 84.44%||2.6 M|
|Skyscanner.it||2.7 M||6:39||5.31||Italy 85.16%||2 M|
|Skyscanner.es||2.6 M||7:14||5.88||Spain 60.66%||2.1 M|
|9.||Kayak Sites||23.2 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Kayak.com||19.7 M||6:45||4.96||United States 86.85%||24.4 M|
|Kayak.co.uk||2.1 M||6:03||4.83||United Kingdom 87.13%||2 M|
|Kayak.fr||1.4 M||6:27||4.91||France 80.27%||770 K|
|10.||Makemytrip.com||18.4 M||7:35||6.09||India 79.90%||17.5 M|
|11.||Cheapoair.com||18 M||5:22||3.77||United States 84.81%||20.2 M|
|12.||Trivago Sites||17.5 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A/|
|Trivago.it||4.3 M||2:18||2.43||Italy 95.34%||1.3 M|
|Trivago.com||4.1 M||6:05||5.68||United States 72.08%||2.5 M|
|Trivago.es||2.6 M||5:23||4.9||Spain 91.19%||1.4 M|
|Trivago.co.uk||2.6 M||6:09||6.59||United Kingdom 89.92%||2.4 M|
|Trivago.de||2.1 M||5:49||5.01||Germany 87.45%||2.2 M|
|Trivago.fr||1.8 M||1:28||2.07||France 88.00%||2.5 M|
|13.||Hotelurbano.com||16.6 M||1:29||2.32||Brazil 92.71%||25.5 M|
|14.||Orbitz.com||14.6 M||6:57||4.86||United States 89.82%||17.2 M|
|15.||Hotwire.com||11.2 M||5:38||4.53||United States 88.28%||13.2 M|
|16.||Travelocity.com||10.6 M||5:48||4.85||5:48||15 M|
|17.||Decolar.com||9.8 M||7:48||5.91||Brazil 96.36%||11.3 M|
|18.||Homeaway Sites||8.4 M||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|HomeAway.com||6.4 M||6:21||6.22||United States 74.07%||7.4 M|
|Homeaway.co.uk||2 M||7:59||8.43||United Kingdom 56.52%||1.8 M|
|19.||Travelzoo.com||7.7 M||4:48||3.6||United States 60.89%||12.2 M|
|20.||Aviasales.ru||8.3 M||5:08||4.33||Russian Federation 82.45%||N/A|
|21.||Lastminute.com||7.6 M||5:37||5.68||United Kingdom 44.62%||8.5 M|
|22.||Travel.yahoo.com||7.6 M||1:21||1.79||United States 56.00%||24.1 M|
|23.||Bookingbuddy.com||7.3 M||4:03||4.25||United States 69.05%||8.2 M|
|24.||Ctrip.com||7.3 M||8:00||8.03||China 70.71%||8.6 M|
|25.||Cleartrip.com||7 M||6:02||6.31||India 79.27%||6 M|
|26.||VRBO.com||6.6 M||9:33||10.64||United States 89.12%||8.8 M|
|27.||Venere.com||6.4 M||3:38||3.63||Italy 25.35%||5.6 M|
|28.||Onetravel.com||6.4 M||5:11||3.92||United States 83.43%||6.6 M|
|29.||Qunar.com||6.3 M||6:48||6.1||China 81.11%||7.5 M|
|30.||Yatra.com||5.6 M||7:34||5.3||India 87.46%||5.6 M|
|31.||CheapTickets.com||5.4 M||5:42||3.95||United States 82.08%||6.6 M|
|32.||AirFastTickets.com||5.4 M||3:21||3.81||United States 77.23%||1 M|