Articles tagged “luxury”

What the One Percenter Travelers Really Want From Tourism

What the One Percenter Travelers Really Want From Tourism

Laura Powell, Skift

The 1 percent are looking for the same things from travel — experiences and bragging rights. They just have the means to take it up a few notches beyond the other 99 percent.

4 days ago

The Psychology Behind Luxury Employee Training Programs

The Psychology Behind Luxury Employee Training Programs

Samantha Shankman, Skift

Luxury hoteliers often face similar challenges as other high-end brands and should seize the opportunity to start a conversation about luxury training and employment that crosses several sectors.

3 weeks ago

Havana’s First Luxury Mall Shows Cuba’s Play for High-Spending Travelers

Havana’s First Luxury Mall Shows Cuba’s Play for High-Spending Travelers

Michael Weissenstein, Associated Press

Will U.S. travelers looking for an escape from consumerism be turned off as Cuba introduces more luxury experiences for vacationers?

3 weeks ago

Japanese Rail Has a New Hyper-Luxury Commute from Tokyo to Hokkaido

Japanese Rail Has a New Hyper-Luxury Commute from Tokyo to Hokkaido

Colin Nagy, Skift

Japan ups the ante on luxurious rail travel, and builds a product the operator thinks will diversify revenue sources. Now if only tickets could be had.

3 weeks ago

The Ecosystems Around the Wealthy’s Third and Fourth Luxury Vacation Homes

The Ecosystems Around the Wealthy’s Third and Fourth Luxury Vacation Homes

Samantha Shankman, Skift

Multiple homeowners are a growing segment of the luxury travel market, so learning to speak and appeal directly to their unique desires is a necessity for any luxury travel provider.

4 weeks ago

FREE Report: Building Brand Love and Loyalty in Luxury Hospitality

FREE Report: Building Brand Love and Loyalty in Luxury Hospitality

View from ILTM + Skift

This Skift Trends Report, produced in partnership with International Luxury Travel Market (ILTM), explores the many disruptions in luxury travel where tired narratives about what upscale travelers want no longer suffice.

1 month ago

Second- and Third-Tier Cities Have a New Way of Selling Luxury Travel

Second- and Third-Tier Cities Have a New Way of Selling Luxury Travel

Laura Powell, Skift

Well-appointed luxury comes at less than a premium in smaller markets, and it's an excellent entry point to demonstrate high-quality hospitality for a new generation of travelers put off by high-priced glitz.

1 month ago

Luxury Travel Spending From Emerging Markets Will Slow in Coming Years

Luxury Travel Spending From Emerging Markets Will Slow in Coming Years

Samantha Shankman, Skift

The luxury market is leaning heavily on emerging markets' growing incomes and aspirational lifestyles, so it must be prepared to weather changes in this demand by keeping personalization and authenticity at the forefront.

1 month ago

Launching Today: Skift New Luxury Travel Newsletter

Launching Today: Skift New Luxury Travel Newsletter

Jason Clampet, Skift

All luxury is not created equal, and understanding the modern luxury travel market requires a new approach and a deep appreciation of the sophistication of modern consumers and providers.

1 month ago

Isolation Is the Next Big Thing in Luxury Travel

Isolation Is the Next Big Thing in Luxury Travel

Laura Powell, Skift

Silence is indeed golden and isolation comes at a premium as well for luxury travelers who really, really want to get away.

1 month ago

China’s Luxury Travelers Are Young and Spending More Than Ever

China’s Luxury Travelers Are Young and Spending More Than Ever

Samantha Shankman, Skift

Chinese consumers are responsible for one-third of the world’s personal luxury spending, but the consumers are younger and more affluent than the sector is accustomed to serving. Speaking directly to this group will pay off with loyalty and service for decades to come.

1 month ago

North Korea Thinks Its Newly Reopened Luxury Hotel Will Help Attract Tourists

North Korea Thinks Its Newly Reopened Luxury Hotel Will Help Attract Tourists

Eric Talmadge, Associated Press

North Korea seems to have some understanding that it needs attractive and luxury hotel offerings to attract wealthy tourists but that means nothing when its government remains a ruthless tourist repellent.

2 months ago