From the new role of subscription travel to the importance of urban living innovations and the impact of Gen Z, these are among the megatrends in travel we're watching in 2020.
We released on Tuesday night our annual travel industry trends report, Skift Megatrends Defining Travel in 2020. Download a copy of your magazine here.
Megatrends is our largest collective editorial undertaking of the year with planning beginning back during the summer. We strive each year to bring you smarter, big-picture trends that will shape travel. Skift editors and researchers don’t take our trends lightly, putting the ideas through rigorous self-examination and batting down those that don’t feel completely fresh and cutting-edge.
The subjects we chose for this magazine were informed by our intensive daily coverage, long-term research, and hundreds of hours talking to travelers and leaders in the travel industry.
The Megatrends Defining Travel in 2020 represent a major shift in travel’s competitive balance. Smart brands are creating innovative new products to cater to both emerging economies and younger travelers, while destinations are becoming more adept at navigating the adverse effects of tourism. Meanwhile, hospitality and experiences are becoming differentiators for brands outside of travel. Skift tracks the evolution of the travel sector and where it will go in the year to come.
These are the 13 megatrends that this digital magazine expands on:
- Subscription Travel Is the Next Frontier of Loyalty
- Tourism’s New Competitive Advantage Is Protecting — Not Just Promoting — Destinations
- The Future of Travel Will Be Driven by Urban Living Innovations
- Gen Z Asserts Itself as Travel’s Next Big Opportunity
- Wellness Travel Makes Aging Aspirational
- Consumer Brands Jump Into Travel With a Hospitality Mashup
- Travel Payments Find Path to Painless
- Short-Term Rental Winners Emerge
- Smart Design Is Not Just for Luxury Travel Anymore
- Data’s Breakthrough for Events
- The Rise of Ultra-Long-Haul Flights Is Changing the Way We Travel
- Tech’s Power Grab for Corporate Travel
- Google Takes Charge
The Daily Newsletter
Our daily coverage of the global travel industry. Written by editors and analysts from across Skift’s brands.
Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch