Support Skift’s Independent JournalismMake a Contribution Now
A Chinese cutter is patrolling the revised Indian Ocean search zone for Malaysian Air Flight 370, looking for objects seen from the air after a new analysis shifted the focus of the hunt by hundreds of miles.
Aircraft coordinated by Australia are resuming their surveillance today, and China’s Xinhua news agency said the vessel Haixun 01 had reached the area. No major sightings had been reported as of early today except for a few “light- colored, palm-size floating objects,” Xinhua reported.
The latest lead in where to concentrate the three-week-old search was based on radar and performance data as the jet flew between the South China Sea and Malacca Strait, authorities said. It shows the Boeing Co. 777 moved faster, using more fuel, and may not have crashed as far south as estimated earlier.
“This is still an attempt to search a very large area, and for surface debris, which will give us an indication of where the main aircraft wreckage is likely to be,” Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, said yesterday in Canberra. “This has a long way to go yet.”
The new search zone is 1,100 kilometers (700 miles) to the northeast of the previous search area, off Australia’s west coast. Investigators narrowed in on the area with an analysis assuming that Flight 370 traveled at close to constant velocity.
Ongoing analysis “could result in further refinement of the potential flight path,” Dolan said.
A New Zealand P3 Orion patrol plane was among aircraft that spotted objects in the revised zone yesterday, a finding that needs to be confirmed by ship, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said. The search area is about 1,850 kilometers west of Perth and spans 319,000 square kilometers, compared with an 80,000-kilometer region scoured on March 27.
Because the latest search zone is closer to Australia than previous locations, aircraft have more time over the ocean. The hunt also moves outside of the so-called Roaring Forties, a region between the 40th and 50th degrees of latitude south known for strong winds and wave conditions. Ocean depth in the area ranges from 2,000 meters to 4,000 meters.
“This is the most credible lead to where debris may be located,” AMSA said in a statement.
Five aircraft spotted “multiple objects of various colors” before yesterday’s search concluded.
The New Zealand Orion found 11 objects inside a small radius, about 1,600 kilometers directly west of Perth, Air Vice- Marshall Kevin Short, commander of joint forces New Zealand said. The objects were mostly rectangular, white and less than 1 meter in size. There was a larger, slightly blue object and another colored orange and about the size of a shipping buoy.
“The only way to really identify them is to get them onboard the ship,” Short said in a telephone interview today. It may be necessary to get the objects back to Perth for final analysis “unless there is something very obvious in what they pick up,” he said.
A second Australian P3 saw colored items in a separate part of the zone 546 kilometers away, AMSA said. Photographs of the various items were taken and were to be analyzed overnight.
Along with the Haixun 01 from the Chinese Maritime Safety Administration, an Australian ship and other Chinese vessels also are relocating to the new zone, AMSA said. The Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation is redirecting satellites to scan the region as well.
The search for Flight 370 initially focused on the Gulf of Thailand, south of Vietnam, before switching to the Malacca Strait and Andaman Sea after radar data showed that the plane had backtracked west across the Malaysian peninsular.
The hunt was then extended thousands of miles from the original search zone after analysis of satellite signals suggested the plane had continued flying for five hours in one of two possible arcs over the Indian Ocean or Asian landmass.
Inmarsat Plc concluded this week that the profile of satellite pings showed the jet definitely took the southern arc, prompting Malaysian Airline System Bhd. to say that the 777 had crashed into the ocean and that there was no hope of survivors.
Satellite sightings had appeared to be helping the multinational search to home in on wreckage from the aircraft that vanished on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew.
Photos from a Thai orbiter on March 24 showed more than 300 objects measuring 2 meters to 15 meters floating 2,700 kilometers southwest of Perth, an area close to prior sightings from space. A Japanese satellite detected a dozen pieces of possible debris in a March 26 image, Kyodo News Service said.
Areas where satellite images had previously shown objects in the ocean were checked and no plane wreckage had been found, Andrea Hayward-Maher, an AMSA spokeswoman, said yesterday.
“Because of ocean drift, this new search area could still be consistent with the potential objects identified by various satellite images over the past week,” Malaysia’s Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein told journalists yesterday.
Since the focus shifted to the south Indian Ocean more than a week ago, planes have made multiple sightings of debris, including a wooden pallet with straps and unidentified green and orange objects, none of which have been recovered.
The Malaysian aircraft may have cruised steadily across the Indian Ocean after diverting from its route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, Inmarsat said last week. The jet flew over the equator and away from the satellite, according to analysis by the engineers, spokesman Chris McLaughlin said.
The U.S. is sending equipment that can be towed behind a ship to help locate the aircraft’s black boxes, which can emit pings for 30 days after becoming immersed in water. Recovery of the data and cockpit-voice recorders from the 777 would help investigators decipher the plane’s movements and its pilots’ actions in the hours after contact was lost.
The pinger locater and underwater vehicle have arrived in Perth, AMSA said.
The search for debris is critical so “we can reverse- forecast the wind, current and sea state since March 8 to recreate the position where MH370 possibly went into the water,” Commander Tom Moneymaker, an oceanographer with the U.S. 7th Fleet, said in a Navy News Service article.
With assistance from David Fickling, Edward Johnson and Chris Bourke in Sydney, David Lerman in Washington, Kyunghee Park in Singapore and Tracy Withers in Wellington.
To contact the reporter on this story: Michael Sin in Sydney at email@example.com To contact the editors responsible for this story: Anand Krishnamoorthy at firstname.lastname@example.org Robert Fenner