Short-term or vacation rentals are being touted as the winners of the pandemic, and in many ways the sector is taking big steps to becoming mainstream. But losers are emerging, too, and the impact of the pandemic will reverberate for years to come.
Skift Research’s examination of the latest changes to the short-term rental sector highlights how there are winners and losers as travel starts to pick up. While a lot is written about the strength of the rental sector over the past year, this new report provides a more nuanced view of which segments and players have performed well, and which less so.
In Impact of COVID-19 on the Short-Term Rental Market, we focuses on three key parts of the short-term rental ecosystem. Firstly, we size the entire booking landscape, and provide our estimates for the size of bookings made through the five largest platforms. Secondly, we discuss the impacts of a professionalizing sector, and highlight two key growth areas as a result: transient business travel, and global distribution system (GDS) connectivity. Thirdly, we investigate how the property management tech landscape, which has seen considerable investment in the past years, is changing.
What You’ll Learn From This Report
- Skift Research estimates of the short-term rental market size, 2010-2025
- Split of bookings by online versus offline channels, 2010-2025
- Gross booking values through the largest five platforms, 2010-2025
- Industry-wide key performance indicators for 2019-2021, including occupancy rates, booking values, average daily rates, booking windows, and length of stay
- How supply growth issues impact the largest platforms
- How professionalization of the sector is speeding up
- The key business opportunities for property managers as we move out of this crisis
- Key changes to the vacation rental tech landscape
After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep dives on key travel brands. You will also be able to access our proprietary Skift Recovery Index and Skift Health Score data and reports.
Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch