We’re publishing a new trend report, in partnership with Puerto Rico Tourism Company: Puerto Rico Takes Its Place on the Tourism World Stage. The report explores Puerto Rico’s resilience as a destination and how it can be an even stronger destination in the future.
Named one of the top places to go to in 2019 by the New York Times in its annual 52 Places to Go list, Puerto Rico has emerged as a sought-after destination for travelers from around the world. Its recovery from hurricanes Maria and Irma bears testimony to the island’s resilience, and the government, now more than ever before, is committed to nurturing and growing its tourism economy.
Major changes have already been made to improve the investment environment, and many more are underway. Some of those efforts include improving the tourism infrastructure, simplifying policies, streamlining the processes to procure business licenses and permits, providing economic incentives to private sector investors, partnering with not-for-profit organizations to support developmental efforts in rural areas, and setting up an independent marketing organization, Discover Puerto Rico, to generate demand amongst travelers and meeting planners.
Growth on the island is evident across hospitality, cruise, airlines, tours, activities, and other travel-related sectors, and consumer travel trends show a growing demand for the kind of experiences Puerto Rico has to offer.
“Our administration really believes in the empowerment of the private sector and building strong public-private partnerships as a catalyst for growth,” said Carla Campos, executive director at Puerto Rico Tourism Company. “We have been able to enact policy along those lines repeatedly. This has been key for us to implement our recovery plan and will be key as we implement our long-term destination development plan that will position Puerto Rico as the world-class destination it is set up to be.”
In this report, you’ll find:
- Puerto Rico’s recovery and growth story after it was devastated by Hurricanes Maria and Irma
- The initiatives underway to improve the investment environment on the island
- Perspectives from investors, academics, and developers on why brands should invest in the island now
- Insights from PRTC, Discover Puerto Rico, and the Foundation for Puerto Rico on how Puerto Rico is preparing for the future to ensure tourism growth and returns
- Consumer trends that are driving the destination’s global popularity