First Free Story (1 of 3)Join Skift Pro
Hours of meetings. Dozens of ideas. Weeks of brainstorming, followed by even more meetings. Every year, the editorial team at Skift undertakes a massive project to identify the big-picture trends that are shaping travel in the coming year.
The subjects we chose for this magazine were informed by our intensive daily coverage, long-term research, and hundreds of hours talking to travelers and leaders in the travel industry.
The Megatrends Defining Travel in 2019 represent our largest annual editorial effort, and this year we’ve noticed some clear themes: Travelers are seeking more control, and brands are becoming more conscious of that demand. A tech backlash appears to be growing, even as travel companies ramp up their mobile offerings. And the lines between different kinds of hospitality are blurring more than ever.
These are the 12 Megatrends this magazine expands on:
- Brands Give Travelers More Control Over Their Experience
- Premium Mediocre Goes Mainstream
- Travel Upselling Gets Smarter Than Ever
- Everything Is Converging in Hospitality
- Undertourism Is the New Overtourism
- Online Travel Agencies Scurry for Salvation Beyond Hotels
- Low-Cost Carriers Lose Some Luster
- Consolidation Creates Travel Brand Bullies
- Wellness Is the New Hook in Travel Marketing
- Travel Loyalty Is Overdue for Disruption
- Labor Shortages Force a Wakeup Call for Travel Brands to Treat Workers Better
- Real-World Experiences Gain Value in an Era of Tech Burnout