Amazon likely has a role to play in the future of travel distribution, marketing, or devices — if not all three. Travel leaders need to prepare today or risk being caught flat-footed tomorrow.
For one of the most important companies in the world, Amazon’s impact on the travel industry has been surprisingly small to date. It is unlikely to stay that way for long. What has been the secret to Amazon’s success and what lessons can the travel industry learn from it? Is Amazon a future threat or ally to travel incumbents? Is it possible to “Amazon-proof” a business?
To help you understand these questions and more in this report, we are launching today the latest Skift Research report, Amazon: Lessons, Threats, and Opportunities for Travel.
In the first section of this report, we dive deep into the company’s business model and distill four lessons from it that we believe can apply to travel companies large and small. In the second section we look at what direct impact Amazon could have on the travel competitive landscape. We imagine at least three scenarios whereby Amazon could enter the travel industry and discuss implications of each. The results are not all negative. For some, Amazon may be a threat, but many opportunities exist to build valuable partnerships as well.
What you’ll learn from this report:
- A deep dive into Amazon’s business model today and context on how it has evolved.
- Four lessons that the travel industry can learn from Amazon’s success.
- A focus on what Amazon Prime can teach us about customer loyalty.
- Our take on three ways Amazon could impact travel.
- Ways in which Amazon could directly compete with travel incumbents.
- A closer look at Amazon’s little-known, but rapidly growing advertising business.
- Thoughts on what voice assistants and smart devices could mean for the future of travel.
This is the latest Skift Research report aimed at analyzing the fault lines of disruption in travel. These reports are intended for the busy travel industry decision-maker. Tap into the opinions and insights of our seasoned network of staffers and contributors. More than 200 hours of desk research, data collection, and/or analysis goes into each report.
After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep dives on key travel brands. Reports are available online in a responsive design format, or you can also buy each report a la carte at a higher price.