Support Skift’s Independent JournalismMake a Contribution Now
Today we are publishing the full results of our second annual U.S. Experiential Traveler Survey. In our report entitled, U.S. Experiential Traveler Trends 2018: Skift Research’s Annual Survey & Data Analysis on Traveler Behavior, Motivations & Preferences. we take a statistical look into the following attributes of the avid U.S. traveler:
- Domestic and international trip incidence
- Travel motivations and trip planning
- Top motivators for leisure travel
- Personal values about wellness and well-being
- Incidence on rental accommodations across brands
- Preference rates for hotel vs. rental accommodations
- Satisfaction rates on Airbnb rentals
- Preferences for on-property hotel amenities
- Hotel spending habits and booking channels
- Accommodation and airline brand preferences
- Attitudes toward leisure trip planning
- Attitudes toward sources of user-generated reviews
- Incidence based on destination type
- In-destination traveler behavior
- And more
We fielded our 55-question survey with a trusted panel provider to collect responses from over 2,300 U.S. residents. In the data, we discovered a lot about U.S. travelers.
Did you know that:
- 50 percent of travelers would rather not feel like tourists while traveling.
- 70 percent of travelers feel like they have a strong emotional connection to the places that they visit.
- 3 out of 10 travelers would rather not share their travel photos on social media.
- Less than 20 percent of travelers post travel photos on Instagram.
Our consumer survey results are full of insightful data points that you can use in your presentations and strategic planning efforts.
Survey results indicate that avid travelers are motivated to travel by a variety of factors. When forced to make an “either-or” selection, however, experiencing new things is prioritized over relaxation.
This is the latest in a series of monthly reports, data sheets, and analyst calls aimed at analyzing the fault lines of disruption in travel. These reports are intended for the busy travel industry decision-maker. Tap into the opinions and insights of our seasoned network of staffers and contributors. Over 200 hours of desk research, data collection, and/or analysis goes into each report.
After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep dives on key travel brands. Reports are available online in a responsive design format, or you can also buy each report a la carte at a higher price.