Skift Take

Whilst tech-innovation and hotels direct booking campaigns bring new challenges to the OTA world, Expedia has kept a solid growth over the past years and has a steady eye on upcoming disruptions.

Last week we launched the latest report in our Skift Trends Reports service, The 2016 Deep Dive Into Expedia’s Competitive Position In Travel.

Below is an excerpt from our Skift Trends Report. Get the full report here to stay ahead of this trend.

In this report, we give a thorough analysis of Expedia’s positioning in travel. We look at the growth of the various brands under the Expedia Inc. portfolio – we scrutinize the company’s financial results and explore how it is handling the constant innovation. In an exclusive Skift interview, CEO Dara Khosrowshahi reveals his concern about Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, and Voice-Search.

Expedia has a huge global presence with $68B in gross bookings across over 200 sites in 75 countries offering over 269K hotels, 1.2M vacation rentals, 475 airlines, and 150 car rental companies. The company has continued to add new brands to its platform amid consolidation of the OTA industry, most recently acquiring Orbitz and Travelocity.

Preview and Buy the Full Report

The OTA segment e.g., and other domains remains the largest contributor to the group accounting for just over 80% of revenue. Short-term rental brand HomeAway accounts for just under 8% but that should increase over time. Metasearch site Trivago is growing rapidly and will likely see its share of revenue rise. Egencia is the corporate travel segment with growth far outpacing its industry.


Source: Expedia 2016 Q2 10Q

Hotel booking is the largest product for Expedia and is housed in the OTA platform, contributing almost 60% of revenue. The remaining 40% of sales are diversified among air travel, HomeAway, Trivago, Egencia, advertising and media, and other items like car rentals, cruises, and business-to-business.


Source: Expedia 2016 Q2 10Q Skift Estimates

Preview and Buy the Full Report

Subscribe now to Skift Trends Reports

This is the latest in a series of twice-monthly reports aimed at analyzing the fault lines of disruption in travel. These reports are intended for the busy travel industry decision maker. Tap into the opinions and insights of our seasoned network of staffers and contributors. Over 100 hours of desk research, data collection, and/or analysis goes into each report.

After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep-dives on key travel brands. Reports are available online in a responsive design format, or you can also buy each report a la carte at a higher price.

Subscribe Now

Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch

Tags: expedia, online booking, ota, research reports

Up Next

Loading next stories