The Rise of the Emerging Market Traveler Sponsored This content is created collaboratively with one of our sponsors.
Despite stalled growth in China, Brazil and Russia, a wave of newly middle-class travelers from the BRICs and beyond will start visiting international destinations in the coming decades — dwarfing the numbers we’ve seen thus far.
The list is a diverse set of attractions from theme parks and sports stadiums to museums and outdoor sites that shows the breadth of the global tourism industry.
Theme parks, sports stadiums, and city squares are among the most popular destinations that people checked into on Facebook in 2013.
As part of its annual review, Facebook has listed the 25 places that users most frequently check into around the world. The list includes the top checked in places, excluding transportation hubs, in 25 of the countries with the most active Facebook users in 2013.
A Facebook blog post says it looked at which places generated the most check-ins in 2013 and used the data to create global and country-level rankings.
Travel is big business for the global social network, which confirmed that travel continues to be the second most talked-about life event on Facebook after relationship updates.
Facebook released a similar list last year on the top 10 checked into place by country.
The 2013 list includes four Disney theme parks in California, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris; three sports arenas in Vancouver, Sweden, and Melbourne; and a steakhouse in Buenos Aires.
The full list of the 25 most-checked into destinations is below, followed by Facebook’s Year in Review video:
- Argentina: Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires
- Australia: Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), East Melbourne, Victoria
- Brazil: Parque Ibirapuera, São Paulo
- Canada: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Egypt: Sharm el-Sheikh, South Sinai Governorate, Egypt
- France: Disneyland Paris, Marne La Vallée
- Germany: Reeperbahn, Hamburg
- Hong Kong: 香港迪士尼樂園 | Hong Kong Disneyland
- Iceland: Blue Lagoon, Reykjavík, Iceland
- India: Harmandir Sahib (The Golden Temple)
- Italy: Piazza San Marco, Venice
- Japan: 東京ディズニーランド (Tokyo Disneyland), Tokyo
- Mexico: Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City
- Nigeria: Ikeja City Mall, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
- Poland: Temat Rzeka, Warsaw
- Russia: Центральный парк культуры и отдыха им. Горького | Gorky Park of Culture and Leisure
- Singapore: Marina Bay Sands
- South Africa: Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
- South Korea: Myungdong Street, Seoul
- Spain: Las Ramblas, Barcelona, Catalonia
- Sweden: Friends Arena, Solna
- Taiwan: 花園夜市Tainan Flower Night Market, Tainan City
- Turkey: Taksim Square, Istanbul
- United Kingdom: The 02, London
- United States: Disneyland, Anaheim, California