Skift Take

These are the tourism trends we were talking about this week.

Throughout the week we post dozens of original stories, connecting the dots across the travel industry, and every weekend we sum it all up. This weekend roundup examines tourism.

For all of our weekend roundups, go here.

>>Unless there’s a flood of last-minute vacation planners who will book trips in the coming days, weeks or months, many U.S. travelers are saying that they’re hunkering down for another summer of little to no time away from the office: Travel Habits of Americans: 42 Percent Aren’t Taking a Vacation This Summer

>>How much of an impact the slashed Visit Florida budget will have on the state’s meetings and conventions industry is an open question: Visit Florida’s Budget Cuts Could Seriously Impact Florida’s Robust Meetings Business

>>While you’re here in New York City for Skift Global Forum, stay the night in the heart of Columbus Circle: Skift Global Forum 2017 Venue and Hotel Are Set

>>TUI Group has a big job on its hands during its move away from country-specific brands, but the prize is a substantial one. If it manages to create a global superbrand it will make it much easier to expand into new areas and markets: Video: TUI’s CMO on Growing an Established Brand in a Fragmented Market

>>Party manifestos should be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. Still it is revealing to see what the priorities are and perhaps more importantly what they decide to leave out: Where UK Political Parties Stand on the Big Tourism Issues

>>The 1 percent are looking for the same things from travel — experiences and bragging rights. They just have the means to take it up a few notches beyond the other 99 percent: What the One Percenter Travelers Really Want From Tourism

>>Cruise lines have the luxury of going in and out of nearly any port they choose, making it easier for them to respond to geopolitical changes as well as changing consumer tastes: Interview: What’s in Store for Luxury Cruising

>>Congress will play around with Trump’s budget and nothing is set in stone. But Brand USA’s proposed demise shouldn’t come as a surprise from a president who has spent much of his first four months in office imposing anti-tourism policies: Brand USA Faces Extinction Under Trump’s Proposed Budget

>>Whether it’s tours or cruises, luxury travelers look to experiences over objects as they seek to tick off their high-end bucket lists: Skift New Luxury Newsletter: What’s Next for Tours and Cruises

>>Higher-than-expected cruise passenger counts are good news for an industry that saw much slower growth just a few years ago. A lack of high-profile disasters has been helpful, and cruise lines are getting better at promoting themselves and expanding into new markets: The Cruise Industry Keeps Beating Its Own Expectations

>>We identify who we are, and how that aligns with our networks and general society at large, through meetings and events: Meetings and Events Are Our Prism Into Society — Meetings Innovation Report

>>Disney and Universal keep fighting for visitors — and more tourist dollars. Will new attractions be enough to attract newcomers and repeat business alike? Disney and Universal Keep Building So Visitors Stay Longer and Spend More

>>The United States is a country with checks and balances, meaning the President can’t assert excessive powers just because he says he has them. For now, the travel ban is on ice: Trump Travel Ban Won’t Be Reinstated, Appeals Court Rules

>>Business-to-business travel companies might not be as attractive as their business-to-consumer siblings but they can still command a hefty price tag. CarTrawler is one of Ireland’s best-known travel tech companies, and a new owner would likely look to push the company into new areas: CarTrawler Finds Itself for Sale Again

>>Travel industry advocates have been asking the new U.S. administration to send a welcoming message to the world’s travelers for months now. They’re still waiting: The Cost of Uncertainty — Skift Corporate Travel Innovation Report

>>Some U.S.-based travel brands aren’t overly worried about a potential Trump slump but Foursquare’s data is an indication that they should be braced for some tough-going: U.S. Tourism From Foreign Travelers Is in Steep Decline if You Believe Foursquare Data


Get Skift Research

Skift Research products provide deep analysis, data, and expert research on the companies and trends that are shaping the future of travel.

See What You're Missing

Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch

Tags: tourism, Travel Trends, trends roundups

Photo credit: Brand USA faces elimination under President Trump's proposed budget. Pictured are Choose Chicago staff and international journalists on a Brand USA fam tour. Choose Chicago / Choose Chicago

Up Next

Loading next stories