From overtourism to power-hungry digital platforms to big hospitality and beyond: These are the trends we're watching closely in 2017.
Last night we released our annual travel industry trends forecast, Skift Megatrends 2017.
You can download a copy of our magazine here.
This is our largest annual editorial effort from the Skift reporting team: the big travel Megatrends for 2017 and beyond.
These megatrends are our work on connecting the dots through Skift’s intensive daily and long-term research coverage of various parts of the travel industry, our hundreds and hundreds of hours of talking directly to the leaders and operators in the travel industry, and our surveys, interviews, and focus groups with travelers throughout the prior year.
The list of 15 Megatrends this magazine expands on:
- Humanity Returns to Travel, in an Age of Digital Overload
- Overtourism Goes Mainstream, Destinations Get Smarter About Solving It
- The Fifties Are the New Target Demographic For Travel Brands
- Festivalization of Meetings and Events
- Digital Platform Disruption Is Here to Stay
- A Year of Reckoning for Europe, the World’s Biggest Tourist Destination
- Corporate Travel Tech Is in Upheaval
- Distribution Wars Have Moved Beyond Black and White
- Low-Cost Carriers Reinvent the Transatlantic Market
- Tours and Activities Are Finally Coming Into Their Own
- Cruise Lines Play the Long Game With New Markets and New Audiences
- This Is the Year of the Modern Female Traveler
- Artificial Intelligence in Travel Is Finally Becoming a Reality
- Dining Out Is the Main Event
- The New Luxury Is Defined by Small Brands With Big Stories
Email me at [email protected] if you have any feedback or want to work with Skift to continue to define the future of this amazing industry we all love.
Have a confidential tip for Skift? Get in touch
Tags: megatrends 2017