Support Skift’s Independent JournalismMake a Contribution Now
Skift is hiring a full-time business journalist to cover the UK and European business of travel — hospitality, tourism, online travel, aviation and other allied sectors, out of London.
We are looking for someone who is animated by what makes the business of travel tick and is looking to take the plunge now.
What makes us excited about travel? The biggest consumer and tech changes happening now can best be observed by looking at habits in travel and its sub-sectors. Travel also has a larger role reflecting the geopolitical realities of the world. What emerges is a heady mix that makes the world’s largest industry among the most exciting industries on the planet. With our reporting and editorial, we are redefining how the travel industry looks at itself and how it projects itself to the larger world.
This is the opportunity to define the future of travel. Literally.
This business reporter will cover a range of topics within the travel sector, especially around strategy, marketing, and digital topics. We are seeking a candidate with professional reporting experience, highly developed writing and interviewing skills, a facility with data, and an entrepreneurial approach to their work. Developing fresh ways to look at news and trends in travel and translating them into strategic, interesting, and provocative articles (short or long form), with a solid grounding in data, is a central challenge of this job.
The reporter is expected to write daily stories, as well as authoritative and investigative longer pieces. In addition, she or he will participate in social media, podcasts, and events and be the face of Skift in many ways.
We are a scrappy, ambitious, and profitable company that is looking for someone to join our team and embrace the new way vertical business reporting is done. Someone who wants to leave the churn and burn world of disposable digital content behind and take it to the next level with impactful, original reporting.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Track and report on private and public companies in the travel sector.
- Research and write original reporting and analysis on topics in travel.
- Reporter will both generate her/his own ideas for stories and collaborate with editors.
- Reporter must be a confident interviewer and dislike rewriting the copy of others.
- The role requires reporter to build and maintain industry contacts, continue to develop industry knowledge, and to communicate with readers.
- They will need to envision and execute on enterprise reporting projects.
- Some travel to cover industry events is also required.
- 2-5 years business reporting in online, print, or broadcast — preferably in travel.
- Experience in covering business news.
- Based in London, working from home or a coworking space.
- Ability to grasp complex issues and explain them in an accessible way.
Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email email@example.com, with the job title in the subject line.