Destinations

Hotel rates in New Orleans see triple-digit growth in run up to Sunday’s Super Bowl

Excerpt from Hotel News Now

Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

Skift Take

Hotels in New Orleans enjoy high occupancy rates almost year-old due to the destination’s abundance of events and conferences, but the combination of Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl is giving the city’s hotel industry an unprecedented boost.

— Samantha Shankman

Get the Latest Intelligence on the Travel Industry

Ivan Illidge  / Flickr

This Sunday's Super Bowl will take place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, pictured above, in New Orleans. Ivan Illidge / Flickr


Committed occupancy and average daily rate are up 51% and 126.9%, respectively, for the Friday-to-Monday period this weekend, according to TravelClick.

A significant number of roomnights in the market are contracted out ahead of time to the NFL, which negotiates ADR as far as a year in advance.

“Typically, when the NFL comes into a smaller market like ourselves compared to a Dallas or so, in order to secure rooms for the Super Bowl, this is done pretty much over a year out, and what the NFL will do … is they’ll contract 90% of our rooms. That leaves 10% of our inventory to sell to the general population,” Borecki said.

Read the Complete Story →

Tags: ,

More on Skift

Starwood Extends Mobile Bookings and Inspiration to Google Glass
The New Mobile Booking Solution for Small Airlines
Daily Travel Startup Watch: Trevolta, Proper Swap and More
How to Find the ‘Holistic Traveler’ Trapped in Your Data

We're the Moneyball of the Travel Industry

We know what's coming next in travel. Subscribe to the newsletter and get all the goodness in your inbox daily.