Skift Research launched its first market-size estimate report on the U.S. passenger airline sector in January 2019. In this report, we continue our effort of sizing up the travel industry by focusing on the accommodation sector.
Our newly released report, U.S. Accommodation Sector: Skift Research Estimates 2019, presents our proprietary estimates on key operational and performance metrics. We estimate that the total accommodation sector in the U.S. generated $264.5 billion revenue in 2018 and forecast a 3.4 percent growth in 2019 to reach $273.5 billion.
In addition, we break down short-term home-rental market share in order to see how big the market is and how much it’s impacting the traditional accommodation market. We estimate that alternative accommodations — short-term lodging in private homes or apartments — reached nearly $23 billion in revenue in 2018, accounting for 8.6 percent of the accommodation market. We expect the alternative accommodation segment to pass the 10 percent share mark in 2019 to generate $30 billion revenue.
What You’ll Learn From This Report
- U.S. accommodation sector market size estimates, 2017–2019
- U.S. market-size estimates for alternative accommodations, 2017–2019
- U.S. market-size estimates for hotels and motels, casino hotels, B&B, and other traditional accommodation segments, 2017–2019
- Key operational and performance estimates for 2019, including number of companies, properties, guest rooms, and corresponding revenue
- Top 10 hotel and resort brands market shares, 2017–2018
- Proprietary Rakuten Intelligence data on brand portfolio performance metrics of Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, and IHG
- Analysis of U.S. Economic Census data
This is the latest in a series of monthly reports aimed at analyzing the fault lines of disruption in travel. These reports are intended for the busy travel industry decision-maker. Tap into the opinions and insights of our network of seasoned staffers and contributors. Over 200 hours of desk research, data collection, and/or analysis goes into each report.
After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep dives on key travel brands. Reports are available online in a responsive design format, or you can also buy each report à la carte at a higher price.