Skift Insights Deck: Mobile and the Next Wave of Digital Disruption—A Look at the Future of Traveler Experience
Today, we’re publishing a new Insights Deck in partnership with Travelport, Mobile and the Next Wave of Digital Disruption: A Look at the Future of Traveler Experience, which explores how mobile and more recent technologies are shifting the way brands engage with travelers. Mobile is now present along every step of the end-to-end travel journey, from research and inspiration to return.
Mobile has radically reshaped how customers research, book, and plan travel, as well as how brands connect with and add value to consumers’ lives. Airline and hotel mobile bookings now account for one in four online travel bookings worldwide, according to Criteo. Meanwhile, Expedia found that 84 percent of travelers worldwide want to be able to access information from anywhere while they travel.
And while mobile has already disrupted the travel industry, emerging technologies rooted in mobile, such as artificial intelligence, augmented reality, virtual reality, voice search, and bots, are set to alter the relationship between travelers and travel brands even further.
These technological developments will influence every aspect of the travel industry, from airlines, to hospitality companies, to travel agencies and destinations. Understanding how these changes are shifting traveler behavior and the ways brands are reaching travelers, no matter what channel they’re using, will be key to forging the enhanced relationships and experiences that customers now expect.
In this report:
- Mobile’s growing role across all touchpoints along the traveler’s journey.
- The shifting focus from mobile transactions to mobile engagement.
- How personalization is at the heart of traveler engagement.
- How mobile is being used among millennials, Gen Zers, and consumers in emerging markets.
- How new technologies such as voice search, bots, wearables, in-flight entertainment companion apps, augmented reality and virtual reality will shift traveler engagement.
- Examples of how brands such as easyJet, Vueling Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Arconics, and Lufthansa are utilizing these newer technologies to enhance their customer experiences.