Carbon reduction is gaining importance for stakeholders, and reporting is getting better amongst the largest hotel companies. Skift Research compares the emissions of six global chains to determine which is best positioned to become carbon neutral over the coming decades, and which are falling behind.
Does the pandemic provide an opportunity for the travel industry to come back better? It’s a question we increasingly hear. Environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) criteria have made steady inroads into the hotel industry, and now form part of many hotels’ performance metrics, investor criteria, and business travel procurement.
Many hotel companies have started reducing their emissions, and now more than ever, as tourism is at a low point, there is an opportunity to reflect on current hotel practices and guest expectations, and make changes where possible.
In Sustainability in Travel 2021: Emissions Benchmark of Six Global Hotel Companies, we set out the environmental credentials of six of the largest hotel operators to understand which are best prepared for a net zero carbon future.
The benchmark exercise in this report includes: Marriott International, Hilton Hotels, InterContinental Hotels Group, Accor, Hyatt Hotels, and Wyndham Hotels and Resorts. Find out which company performed best, and which is the highest polluter, by subscribing to Skift Research.
What You’ll Learn From This Report
- The hotel company leaders and laggards in emissions reduction.
- The targets for emission reduction set by the six largest hotel companies, and the shortcomings of these targets.
- How chain scales have a major impact on company emissions, and how these chain scales can be used to provide a benchmark for company performance.
- The future challenges of continued emissions reduction.
- Shortcomings of current reporting standards, and how this could be improved.
After you subscribe, you will gain access to our entire vault of reports conducted on topics ranging from technology to marketing strategy to deep dives on key travel brands. You will also be able to access our proprietary Skift Recovery Index and Skift Health Score data and reports.
Subscribe to Skift Pro
Subscribe to Skift Pro to get unlimited access to stories like these ($30/month)Subscribe Now