Paris is safe again for tourists just over two weeks after one of France’s deadliest terrorist attacks, Prime Minister Manuel Valls said Tuesday.
“Here is a message to the world, to all the tourists who canceled their trips: ‘Come to Paris! The city is safe,”’ Valls said on Europe 1 radio. “Spend your money, live, go to cinemas, to theaters. That’s our message and it’s the answer to this terrorist attack.”
Last month, gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in Paris cafes and a concert hall in the second terrorist assault in the city this year. The government has deployed nearly 10,000 soldiers and police in and around Paris to maintain security.
France remains under a state of emergency that gives authorities special powers to help prevent potential attacks. Valls said the government may seek to extend the period of the emergency beyond the three months already approved by parliament.
While the Nov. 13 attacks have probably hurt economic output, Valls said he hopes the lost growth will be made up by the end of the year.
“We are watching the consequences of the attacks,” he said. “I hope that by the end of the year, with Christmas, we will gain back what we have lost in the two terrible weeks.”
The government is maintaining its forecast for 1.1 percent growth for the year, Valls said.
This article was written by Helene Fouquet from Bloomberg and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.