First Free Story (1 of 3)Join Skift Pro
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is currently meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina to decide on, among other matters, which city will host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. Up for the bid are Tokyo, Istanbul, and Madrid.
The IOC will live-stream the event at the Olympic.org website.
While bookies are giving the best odds to Tokyo, Madrid is positioning itself as the economically responsible host. Istanbul, meanwhile, has wrestled with street protests about the city’s rapid development. Still, leaders say, the city is bullish about its bid.
If it was any other organization than the IOC making the decision, you could bet on Madrid as the safe choice, given concerns over nuclear radiation in Japan and another Rio-like development debacle in Istanbul. But this is the same organization that chose a Black Sea summer resort as the host of the Winter Games, so it’s anyone’s guess what the IOC will announce tomorrow afternoon.
Other Olympics coverage on Skift:
- This Weekend’s Olympic Committee Meeting Is Packed With Big Decisions
- Olympic Organizers Visit Brazil to Ensure Development Stays on Track
- Tokyo Tourism Companies See Stocks Rise Before Olympics Announcement
- Vladimir Putin Declares ‘Forbidden Zone’ Around Sochi Olympic Resort
- Rio’s Mayor Says Time Spent Preparing for the Olympics is a “Shame”
Below are the promotional videos each city made to help sell their story to the IOC.